Thursday, July 17, 2008

Yet to Be Discovered

"Today we may face some boring task or idle conversation that feels like a complete waste of time. Perhaps next week or next year we'll understand that nothing is wasted, that in the economy of our universe even a weed is simply a flower whose use has yet to be discovered."--Mort Crim
My favorite nature park has recently been transformed. Mowing has been all but curtailed and the manicured, green pastures are now a knee-deep sea of wildness. While I sometimes miss the lawn-like expanse of grass, I’ve grown to appreciate the profusion of plant life that now inhabits the land. In my quest to properly identify the species captured by my lens, I’ve discovered many different varieties which I might have not have ever given a second thought. One of the most intriguing is the Wooly Mullein, a weed whose insidious nature is belied by its velvety soft leaves, mellow golden flowers and delicate, majestic stalks.--Sue Ivy

No comments: